Client Bill of Rights
Independent Living Services promotes the rights of clients receiving services.
This includes the promotion and protection of each client’s right to receive necessary
Information, to be given reasonable choices, and to be treated with dignity & respect.
All Clients Have The Right:
- To be dealt with in a respectful manner and to be free from physical, sexual, mental, emotional, verbal, and financial abuse.
- To be dealt with in a manner that respects your dignity and privacy, and that promotes your autonomy and participation in decision-making.
- To be dealt with in a manner that recognizes your individuality and that is sensitive to and responds to your needs and preferences, including preferences based on ethnic, spiritual, linguistic, familial, and cultural factors.
- To receive services free from discrimination as per Ontario’s Human Rights Code or Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
- To receive services in a culturally safe manner for those clients who are First Nations, Métis, or Inuk.
- To receive clear and accessible information about your home and community care services.
- To participate in the assessment and reassessment of your needs, as well as the development and revision of your care plan.
- To designate a person to be present with you during assessments, and to participate in the development, evaluation, and revisions to your care plan.
- To receive assistance in coordinating your services.
- To give or refuse consent to the provision of any home and community care service.
- To raise concerns or recommend changes related to the services you receive, and with policies and decisions that affect your interests, without fear of interference, coercion, discrimination, or reprisal.
- To be informed of the laws, rules, and policies affecting the delivery of your home and community care service, including this Client Bill of Rights, and to be informed, in writing, of the procedures for initiating complaints about the services you are receiving.
If you have questions, please contact the Director of Client Services at: (705) 737-3263